I was nominated by my VP to be featured in my company’s “Getting to Know You” section of our newsletter. It’s kind of a daunting task to answer these questions, I learned that I’m definitely guarded professionally (you know, building and perpetuating my own “personal brand”). But, I made it through and hopefully everyone still sees me as profesh to death yet approachable, because that would be awesome. Or maybe, they will all wear their Judge Judy hats and their opinion of me will change…whatevs. I had no choice but to complete this, so here it goes:
- What Is your favorite hobby? Running, Traveling, Photography, Surfing, Anything and Everything Outside.
- What did you want to be when you were a kid? I’ve always felt drawn to nature, traveling and experiencing other cultures, as well as the ocean. Therefore, I rotated between a Marine Biologist and a National Geographic Photographer. Once I got into college though, I found that my favorite classes were at the business school. I accepted an internship with MasterCard Worldwide my Senior Year, with which I campaigned for financial literacy on my college campus. It was like a mini real world business project where I found myself selling and marketing – I was hooked. I never looked back and while the walls in my house are still adorned with my latest photos and I still find magic on a surfboard in the middle of an ocean wondering about the world underneath the water’s surface, I know I’m right where I’m supposed to be.
- What is your favorite time of the year? Summer, no contest. I’m from Dallas, Texas so sunshine and warmth feel like home.
- If you could have a super power what would it be? Singing. Of course, I’d love to travel through time/fly around the world/heal the sick…BUT sticking to something more realistic here – I’ve always wanted to be able to sing. I think it would be so cool to share that gift or “superpower” to make other people happy.
- What team do you root for? Dallas Cowboys, Texas Rangers, For college sports - UNC Tarheels all the way!, U.S. Women’s Soccer Team
- What do you do to fulfill your creative spirit? It sounds corny to say it, but there’s creativity and inspiration everywhere you look. You just have to be open to it, open to connections with people, open to things different than your norm, and open to the beauty that exists in even the smallest moments. When I try to do this, I find that I am more than fulfilled and inspired, I’m energized.
- What is the last thing you have done to develop yourself? I’m a voracious reader. I love anything nonfiction: newspapers, books, magazines. Lately, I’ve also gotten really into NPR podcasts, it helps pass the time in airports while traveling (hat tip: download the free app “Stitcher” to stream podcasts, it’s awesome).
- What’s your favorite smell? When you walk into someone’s home and they are cooking a big meal, it could be anything. I grew up with a mother who absolutely loved to cook, she would make these huge elaborate meals on an ordinary Tuesday. It took me going to college and eating Cheez-Its for dinner to realize how good I actually had it.
- What’s your favorite motivational quote? It’s hard to pick just one, but currently this one is high on my list: “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, ‘If this isn’t nice, I don’t know what is.” – Kurt Vonnegut. It reminds me to enjoy the journey, and be present.